What is Rum?
Rum, Rhum or Ron is a big spirit category that follows variety of specifications based on where it is being distilled/bottled/sold. Please keep in mind that the below points are broad, very very broad. (Rum nerds don’t come at us!)
– Rum is a distillate made from sugar cane molasses, sugar cane syrup or sugar cane juice
– Rum must be distilled to less than 96% ABV
– Rum must be bottled at no lower than 37.5% ABV (EU) or 40% ABV (US)
– Addition of sugar is allowed in some regions, up to 20g/l
– Some regions also have aging requirements
– Rhum Agricole is made on specific islands and must be made from sugar cane juice. Unless you get some American Agricole (again, very very broad definitions here)
– a variety of size, type and material of stills can be used to make rum.
What about Flor de Caña Rum?
– Naturally aged without artificial ingredients, in small, premium bourbon barrels without sugar or additives.
– Produced at the base of an active volcano in Nicaragua since 1890.
– 130+ years and 5 generation family story.
– Distilled with 100% renewable energy.
– Sustainably produced from field to bottle.
– Fastest growing premium rum in the Americas
– Only spirit in the world to be both carbon neutral & fair trade certified.
– Global Rum Producer of the Year IWSC’17
– FDC has received over 200 awards and recognitions over the past 10 years.
What about Flor de Caña 7-year rum?
– flagship rum for premium cocktails
– aromas of toasted coconuts, vanilla & figs
What about Flor de Caña 12-year rum?
– full-bodied rum with a rich complexity of flavours and a smooth finish
– aromas of red fruits, honey and toasted nuts
– wood, vanilla & baked apples, with a smooth and well-balanced finish
– honey & dark chocolate, with a long and smooth finish
What about Flor de Caña 15-year rum?
– case, label & glass made from recycled materials.
– full-bodied rum with a long and smooth finish that lingers in the palate
– notes of prunes and tropical Fritos, iced toffee and wood with an extra smooth finish
– you’re drinking this one neat!